In addition to the entry requirements of the University of Nigeria, candidates for admission into the Department of Economics are required to obtain at least a credit in English Language, Mathematics and Economics in the Senior Secondary Certificate Examination (SSCE)/General Certificate of Education (GCE) or their equivalents. Direct entry candidates are expected to satisfy the University of Nigeria requirements for admission by direct entry, provided that they obtain at least credit in Mathematics, English Language and Economics at the O’level GCE, or its equivalent. The degree programme in Economics is for a minimum period of four years for all candidates, whether admission is by direct entry or UME.
Graduates of this degree programme are expected to take up appointment as:
- University lecturers in Economics
- Economists/Directors in Research Institutions
- Economists in industries
- Managers in Banks and other financial institutions;
- Economic Advisers to Governments/institutions
- Economic Consultants serving the general public
- Board members in public and private enterprises.
- Economists /Directors in Research Institutions